On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 19:30 +0200, Andrea Aime wrote:
> Jody Garnett ha scritto:
> > Adrian Custer wrote:
> >> I've already lost time on this, on top of a bunch of other things so I
> >> don't have time to chase down the problems and fix them.
> >>
> > You lost me? The problems seem to be in the imageio-ext project right -
> > I am mostly focused on the geotools unsupported plugin here.
> >>>
> >> yes, that seems reasonable and was my understanding as well.
> >>
> > Suppose I better go visit the 2.5.x branch and make sure that happens.
>
> So, if my understanding is right, being that module still
> unsupported, it can be included in the build, right?
> Can I switch it back to be included in the build?
> Any other concern remaining?

If memory serves, the last time we had this discussion we agreed to wait
for a first release of the imageio-ext project before considering it as
a formal dependency.

Whenever we do decide to consider it, we will probably want to discuss
the benefits and costs of becoming formally dependent on that project
and its long-term impact on Geotools---that's what we usually do. Our
discussions around dependencies tend to be rich with voices for keeping
the library light and others for increasing capabilities. So we will
undoubtedly need to go through such a discussion. This library is
particular: it appears light on the download since it is mostly stubs
but is also useless without a native dependency which breaks the Java
intent of Geotools. I imagine the discussion will be lively.

However, today we cannot legally include the project in our build. There
were files with confidential/proprietary code in the library which may
or may not have all been removed and other files which conflict with the
LGPL. That is all merely from the documentation within the files
themselves.

It appears, next time the project is proposed, we will have to do
another cursory review of the licensing situation and code origin to
ensure we have done due diligence towards our users and to prevent
trivially obvious licensing conflicts. This is not a project issued from
a group like Apache or the FSF which is well known to take particular
care with their code origins so I would not expect anyone to be
satisfied with merely accepting some unknown group's word for things.

--adrian