I agree with the points that Justin has made. The codebase is a much
bigger hurdle for prospective developers than the Java version and I
think it's extremely important to be mindful of what our users'
constraints are. There's not much point "embracing change" (yuk) if it
results in a shrinking user community.  As for being "technology
leaders" etc. - I'd prefer to see leadership defined in terms of the
usefulness of what we provide (useful code + a pool of knowledge + a
supportive community) rather than just 6 > 5 :-)

Jody: I've been told that the Java 6 scripting hooks can be backported
into Java 5 apps, though I haven't ever tried it.

Meanwhile, I'd be curious, like Andrea, to see what the folks on the
user list think. My guess is that it's not on the radar for most of
them judging by the absence of posts about it.

Michael