Jody Garnett ha scritto:
> Workspace issues also cuts the other way; when I am handed a machine at work
> it comes with Java 6 installed. And I have to go out of my way (and now
> further out of my way) in order to find a Java 5 SDK to compile geotools
> against.
>
> Truth be told I just run Java 6 now at work; and get yelled at by Andrea one
> a month for reporting a bug that where I have only tested against an
> unsupported configuration.
>
> So perhaps we could ask a different question:
> - Can we have Java 6 as a supported configuration?

We cannot really pretend everybody to double build geotools in java 5
and java 6 before committing.
Imho if java 5 stays, it's the main supported configuration.

I would be ok as having java 6 supported as well but under two conditions:
- someone stands up a hudson server that builds with java 6, and
   we rely on it, meaning java 6 is not guaranteed to be building
   all the time, and people can fix those issues at a more relaxed
   pace
- if someone breaks the  java 5 build he's still supposed to fix
   it as fast as he can (or someone else will revert the change
   that broke the build)

Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org