On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Niels Charlier <ni...@scitus.be> wrote:

>  That you need to implement that method, otherwise encoding filters in
> CQL/XML will be impossible.
>

> Okay, no problem, but is the above suggested solution good for you? This
> is how it happens for ReferencedEnvelope3D's.

Works for me

> I can never related to this line of reasoning where "we'll make it faster
> later" due to two reasons:
> * performance can always be improved, high performance cannot be
> retrofitted though, it has to be designed
> * temporary solutions have the bad habit of becoming permanent, the risk
> of going out and releasing something
>   that may kill a production system because the funds to "make it faster"
> dried up worries me quite a bit
> How sure you are that you're going to implement proper encoding of 3D
> bboxes at the very least for JDBC
> stores (and possibly for shapefiles as well?)
>

> I do need to clarify: I am not  saying : we are going to implement
> something a bad way now, and make it better later. That would be indeed a
> bad line of reasoning. What I am doing here is absolutely *necessary* work
> for 3d bbox filters, and there is nothing programmed in a bad quality
> there. The post-filter is the first requirement, so it is the first thing
> that needs to happen. It it better to have a post-filter implementation
> than no implementation at all (There are other things in geotools that only
> work with post-filters, functions like concat.) It cannot possibly hurt
> anyone to have this feature.
>  I think we need to take it one step at a time, otherwise I need to make a
> patch so big that it is too big to review and if it doesn't get approved a
> lot of work is lost. The bounding box will need to be implemented for every
> possible dbms differently, and yes it will not be so easy at all.
> I think the post-filter implementation proves that it can work, and lays
> the foundations for further development in this direction. But we can't do
> and support everything at once.

I'm not saying that you have to do everything at once, can you answer the
simple question above though?
Restating it: "How sure you are that you're going to implement proper
encoding of 3D bboxes at the very least for JDBC stores (and possibly for
shapefiles as well?)"

Same concern here, if you cannot parse a 3D bbox how are you going to make
> WFS queries possible?
> WMS wise, how are you going to deal with the 3D bbox? What about CQL
> filtering, or in SLD filtering?
> All of these will need some way for 3D bboxes to be parsed and encoded back
>

> There is no 3d bbox in WMS as of yet, this is only the implementation of a
> WFS 3d bbox.
> Again, we need to take it one step at a time. But in WFS, the 3d bbox
> works as proven in the unit tests included in the patch.

I have looked at the patch and I don't see where in the code you are
handling the parsing of a BBOX filter
coming from a OGC filter in a POST request, or a BBOX coming from a CQL
filter.
If you are not planning to support them please state so, if you are
planning to do please clarify how
and when

If you are planning to make a set of proposals that's fine, it would help a
lot to see a roadmap of them,
otherwise we have to evaluate them under the assumption that nothing will
come after them, and what
is in the proposal is all we're going to get, in the state that it's
proposed, and drive conclusions about
the resulting structure of the API, general stability and performance that
results of just the
changes that are in there.

==
Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more