app-schema uses the app-schema-resolver implementation to obtain schemas
from the classpath (jar files), oasis calogs, or cached downloads. It is
designed to drive the XML encoder, and solve the problem of cross-module
relative imports (import of ../../../whatever) from different sources.
It does not use the URIResolver interface. It implements the GeoTools
SchemaLocationResolver interface. See:
http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/extension/app-schema.html#application-schema-resolver

I would have to think more about what youse are trying to do, but
app-schema-resolver has no dependencies on app-schema and could be the
basis of a solution.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--