Mauro,

I think your changes are just what we need. Please also update your
branch to remove the duplication in gt-app-schema-resolver, so that it
contains only those things that depend on gt-xsd-core and so cannot be
folded into gt-xml.

One other issue is synchronisation: gt-app-schema-resolver has until now
only been used in circumstances (GeoServer startup) in which concurrent
access is not an issue. What happens if two concurrent threads try to
use the resolver? One thread might read a copy on disk while another is
still downloading it. Simple synchronisation might result in nasty
starvation if a download hangs. Core code must consider these issues and
either address them or state that the code is not thread safe.

Please also ensure that the relevant attributions are copied to gt-xml:
modules/extension/app-schema/app-schema-resolver/src/site/apt/review.apt

I also note a new copy of XMLSchema.xsd which will require attribution.

As Justin is the maintainer of gt-xml, all changes there will require
his approval.

There is also an ugly, ugly hack in AppSchemaResolver: if a cache
directory is not set, it can be configured to automatically find one if
it recognises a *GeoServer* data directory. Ugly, but very useful, and I
have not thought of a better way of doing it (a data store parameter,
perhaps?). The standard for core is higher than extension; Justin may
want this either fixed or factored out into a subclass in
gt-app-schema-resolver so that he does not have to maintain any (more)
ugly hacks.  :-)

Justin?

Kind regards,
Ben.