Thanks for all the feedback. Like Jody said, we're probably going to break
the proposal apart a bit. I've started pulling apart the index/catalog
management into its own proposal:

https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/Refactor-ImageMosaic-Index-Catalog-management-for-improved-extensibility

Still a work in progress. Will work on adding code examples for the catalog
manager part. In the meantime you can take a look at the WIP here:

https://github.com/dvntucker/geotools/tree/im_api_refactor

The biggest thing to note is that:

- A number of methods in CatalogManager have been changed from static to
non-static
- CatalogManager has been added as a field to the ImageMosaicConfigHandler
- Logic that was in ImageMosaicConfigHandler for checking ColorModel and
CRS has been moved to CatalogManager (see the second part of the proposal)

Cheers