Devon,

are you working on this by yourself or with others? With Git, you can
make your own branch in your own fork of the repository, then use a
GitHub pull request to ask for review and merge. Justin wrote our
excellent Working with Git guide:
http://docs.geotools.org/latest/developer/procedures/git.html

A branch in the main repo can be useful if you are collaborating on this
with several others, but most work in this project is done on feature
branches in developer forks and merged into master via GitHub pull
requests. I know that other Git platforms encourage centralised
workflows based on branches in a shared repo; I do not know your
background with Git. In this project I have mostly seen decentralised
workflow based on developer forks. Git and GitHub are very flexible and
you can also make pull requests to other developers' forks.

Commit access is on a per-organisation basis (i.e. all of GeoTools); we
cannot grant commit access to a single module. We rely on peer review
and accountability. Even people with commit access often make pull
requests to enable peer review, especially for core code. Review and
debugging is highly parallelisable.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--