Hi Jody,
at present I cannot vote on the proposal because I have troubles getting a
grip on it.

Here are a few things that might help understanding, section by section:

   - *Description*: this is fine, makes sense, no questions (one thing, the
   recursive file loading during indexing is already the default behavior as
   far as I know)
   - *Index Generation: *quite a bit lost here, how are
   MosaicIndexConfiguration and GranuleCatalogManager going to be used by the
   existing classes? Or are they replacing it? I'd need to understand how the
   existing code is going to get reshuffled into a generic machiner plus
   default implementations of the two above objects? Also, can you provide an
   example of an alternate implementation (being the refactor targeted to
   extensibility)
   - *Harvesting: *same as above, how is the code going to be moved around,
   and examples of alternate implementations
   - *Delegate coverage acceptance/rejection to a predicate object*: makes
   sense I guess, so the reason to have this plugable is because you might
   roll a collector that has less limitations than the default ones?
   - *Pre-process Granule Footprint Before Indexing*: makes sense, thinking
   out loud is the footprint the only thing that needs reprocessing?
   - *Generalize Mosaicking per GranuleCollector and Update
   GranuleCollector to a tree-like hierarchy*: an example would be useful
   - *Enhance the GranuleDescriptor and GranuleCatalogVisitor interfaces: *same
   as above, examples of these "arbitrary properties" to be used would be
   useful

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:48 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Proposal is updated:
> https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/Refactor-ImageMosaic-for-extensibility
>
> I reworded the API change section with clear BEFORE/AFTER descriptions
> making it easier to follow. After this I am far more comfortable with the
> proposal as a whole. I have some specific class naming doubts (is
> GranuleCatalogManager really a manager) but they can be sorted out during
> the refactor.
>
> +1
>
> A couple feedbacks:
>>
> - (done) go ahead and merge back to master, we can edit there as a group :)
>> - (done) for the API change on MosaicIndexConfiguration - can you take
>> the cometary out to some bullet points so we can see the proposed class in
>> one go
>> - (done) the tasks section seems incomplete, we mostly use this to check
>> that you have enough resources/time to get the work done
>> - loadGranuleCatalogFromDataStore seems a bit odd to make, taking a
>> properties file (I guess of connection parameters) rather than a DataStore?
>> We have the Repository API that meets this need for app-schema and
>> pregeneralized datastore (I do not think you will have scope to address
>> this one)
>> - MosaicIndexConfiguration <-- is this really a configuration? It looks
>> to be more of a strategy
>> - (done) I am not familiar with this codebase so a diagram (say from
>> objectaid ) could help
>> - (done) Consider moving your before and after code examples, and a
>> diagram up to the description section :)
>> --
>> Jody Garnett

> What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
> traffic
> patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
> are

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.