I am not sure there ever was an era of *globally* valid taxonomies. Locally,
yes, they would be very useful. For example, would work in the US. But, I am in
Northern India right now, and jeebus... would never work given the chaos here.
Here is a real address

        E1/F,<-- house number
        "Y" Block<-- because the building looks like two Ys from the air [1]
        River Bank Colony,
        Near Letter Box<-- seriously, am not making it up
        City, State, Postcode, etc.

You don't have to look to India to find this. The town of Port Clyde, Maine doesn't have house numbers - or didn't when I rented a house there some years ago. I was staying for a month and wanted to ship a "real" computer, and was told to tell FedEx "The white house across and down from the Post Office"

Seriously.