Dear GKD Colleagues:

You guys are great. Churning over your ideas, input and experience has
given me so much to contemplate I wish we could have an e-conference in
real time; this might prove quite transformative.

Tom Abeles, I loved your succint analysis of the issues. What field are
you working in?

Andy Lieberman, thanks for your discussion of the the conflicts between
donor and project interests, and the benefits of building relationships
with donors. I also appreciate the links to the websites that indeed
bear similarities to what I was describing.

Janice Brodman, best wishes for your work supporting soecio-economic
development in Bosnia-Herzogovinia and thanks for sharing your insights
there and in India.

Arrigo, I hope to learn more details of what you see as a solution.
Also, other comments below.

My comments are the following:

The primary reason given by USA for not increasing aid to Africa is the
infrastructure isn't there. From all reports I hear, that is correct.
The infastructure isn't there. But what infrastructure do industrialized
countries want? They want the same infrastucture they have. But
developing countries have learned from experience that this can be a
dangerous thing.

And so I think the issue is about funneling aid to developing countries
who are trying to develop infrastructure at the localized level,
according to their needs and values, not the needs and values of the
donor countries.

The issue of infrastructure doesn't apply to aid programs that are
trying to provide emergency relief. Developing countries need food and
water and I hope they gain more assistance through whatever means they
can acquire it. But the means of acquiring emergency relief should not
necessarily be transferred to the problem of long-term solutions.

Hopefully, the new infrastructure(s) will be environmentally
sustainable, socio-economically and gender just, most likely involving
decentralized loci of control and decision making, not the centralized
structure of industrialized countries.

I genuinely believe that once these holistic, sustainable
infrastructures take root in developing countries, they offer
opportunity for quick growth and discovery, at a rate that surpasses
what is possible in industrialized countries where a conflicting and
pre-existing infrastructure intervenes.

I personally believe that the reason existing monies are not channeled
into such projects is not necessarily due to an ulterior motive. The
fact is that there is a real problem in western-educated peoples
believing that sustainable, organic agriculture, water treatment,
traditional medicine, actually work. Indigenous science is
multifactorial and process oriented. It involves different cognitive
processes. Indeed, it is even hard for many people in developing
countries to believe in sustainable technology, because they associate
western technology with wealth and advancement.

Sustainable methods do present challenges to be overcome. But comparing
them to methods which have been developed with a vast amount of research
money, commercial, social, and governmental support is a bit unfair. If
as much collective energy went into developing sustainable knowledge, a
new world would be possible.

The purpose of the website I propose is not only to channel money into
good causes; it is to serve as an educational tool for potential donors
that when these types of projects are viewed as a comprehensive whole,
they can present a highly functional infrastructure. Unlike the
globalgiving website, sustainable projects would need to be gleaned from
among the other emergency and high technology projects, that are also
good, but can be addressed through existing paradigms. The project
should also be geared to tap into a grassroots donor base, not the large
foundations. I think more individuals would be inclined to donate
$100.00, if they knew this $100.00 would not be swallowed up by
administrative costs of a large foundation.

Arrigo, you bring up a good concern about scamming, which had also
occurred to me. Yes, there would be a potential for this, but you need
to weigh it against how much money is being wasted through large
bureaucratic infrastructures that are legitimate (besides the fact that
these infrastructures are not immune to abuse either). Accountability in
the terms of documentation costs a lot of money in and of itself. I am
proposing that it be replaced by extreme transparency (posting pictures,
contact info, physical address). If, for example, a church congregation
were considering adopting a project and making large donations, such as
to an orphange in Africa, they should be encouraged to send a few
members of their congregation over there as scouts. This would still
prove cheaper than them trying to run the orphanage themselves.

It is also apparent that whether this manifests as a funding website is
somewhat immaterial. What we really need to consider is a proliferation
of projects --- educational, funding, research, practical application,
etc. that manifest this alternative world view. My basic point in this
communication is to emphasize that we are talking about establishing a
functional alternative infrastructure, not just design a particular
website idea. I do think website design can be extremely instrumental in
this educational process, however, which is why I am posting to this
List, and looking forward to your further input and dialogue.

Best regards,

Gena Fleming
[EMAIL PROTECTED]