On Apr 18, 2006, at 5:00 PM, Jon maddog Hall wrote:

I would not try to keep it at an odd number unless you either finalize the number of "chapters" (I think this would be unwise) or add an "at large" member
every time you add a chapter (also unwise).

Chapters come and go, it's true. I would suggest a census in preparation for elections every two years that adds matching seats and calculates the number of At-Large seats. That way, we don't have to immediately add a seat the day a chapter forms. Chapters that dissolve within that period would lose the ability to vote, and tie votes would be considered defeated.

One membership list for GNHLUG statewide and members vote for a council to lead the parent organization from the membership list. Each member can affiliate with one chapter (but attend others), and therefore get to vote for the leadership of that one chapter. Probably most people will join the chapter closest to them, but they will not have to do that. They can also join one
or more SIGs, and then vote for that SIG leadership.

That's a good solution to the problem, too, although it doesn't require representation from each chapter. As Bruce said earlier in the thread, apathy is far more likely a problem, but a group-wide vote makes election of a member from a small and remote chapter less likely. This is the issue the House of Reps vs. Senate model was designed to address. So, the three guys in the "North of the Notch Perlmonger's SIG" are unlikely to get representation and will be less interested in being affiliated with GNHLUG if their people aren't invited to the cookout.

I would like to see a database set up that holds this information (would be nice to have if the IRS comes knocking), and would make "controlling" the
voting list easier also.

With paper and digital backups.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
... we may want to more clearly limit what   would qualify as a
"voting member." Ideas on this sticky point very   much welcomed.

Sticky indeed, since we have some people on the list that live outside of
New Hampshire.

Outside the hemisphere, even.

I would formulate it another way. I would create GNHLUG as a 501(c) 6, then (if
we wanted to do charitable things) create an offshoot as a 501(c)3 for
charitable works. A 501(c)6 can always give money to a 501(c)3, but not
necessarily the other way around.

Ed, do you have wisdom to add?

Yes, I'd like to learn more if anyone has more insights.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com