jim t.p. ryan writes:

[please wrap your lines at around 75 columns]

> But here is the problem that I have.  This application is one that I
> want to put on a machine that, in all other respects, has a very
> intuitive web interface.  One adds users, shares, printers etc via
> this.  It would be installed in an office with NO unix expertise.  I
> would forsee the type of small office where there is probably one
> fairly technical savvy person that knows his/her way around
> windows/dos, but that's it.

The various schemes for backing up this particular system, implemented
in terms ot tar/dump/Amanda/whatever could all be accessible via a simple
web interface.  Combine this with a little bit of training and
documentation, and you'd have a solution.  It might be as simple as
telling this "fairly techical savvy person" to throw a tape into the
machine and press a certain button via their web browser (then, when
they come back in the morning, label the tape...)

I'm telling you that a CGI/PHP script to facilitate this would be
pretty easy to just throw together.  If you don't have the time or
skill to do this, you could certainly hire somebody.

Naturally, if you're running some kind of 24x7 service off of this box
and you can't afford *any* data corruption, then things become a
little bit more involved.  But for a small office, this would probably
work great.

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark          |                          |
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |  Give me a decent UNIX