In a message dated: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:47:09 EDT
Benjamin Scott said:

>  It is a good book, although it is a bit dated, and pretty much completely
>ignores the free Unixes.  :(  Sure, it kind of pre-dates Linux, the BSDs have
>been around a lot longer.  For commercial Unix systems, though, you'd be hard
>pressed to beat it.

Though dated, it does cover all the essential things one really needs for Unix
sysadmin.  I find it's a much better and more comprehensive book than Æleen
Frisch's book.  Whether or not you cover Linux in a sysadmin book is, IMO,
largely irrelevant.  Either you understand the basic Unix concepts or you
don't.  If you don't, variant-specific details will be lost on you anyway.  If
you do, you can easily adapt to the specifics of that variant.  This book has
seen many sysadmin's through many a battle on various different platforms.
It's gotten me through SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX 9 & 10, and Linux.  I know it's
gotten Derek through at least 3 of those as well.

Æleen's book spends entirely too much time in Sun/Linux land, and not enough
time covering the general basics.
--
Seeya,
Paul