> Picture a small office.  All client machines are winsdows based (NTWK or Win9x).
>One Linux based file/print server.  People will use this as a common share as well as
>personal shares.  No monitor keyboard or mouse on the box.  Configured and managed
>from a browser.

Sounds like a customer, no?
>>Not yet...;+}

> Any suggestions as how one could back this machine up?  I don't want to leave any of
>the client machines up at night.  All the shares will be on the same physical device.
> I could put a tape drive in the Linux box.  So the backup would have to be entirely
>managed from a client in terms of scheduling it and verifying it, as well as ever
>recovering files from the tape.

Don't forget a 2nd disk can also function as a useful backup too. Don't know
enough about your situation to decide.

With 2nd disk, could use rsync(1) ...

True, and I'll have to read about rsync, but I was hoping for something a little more
"traditional" in terms of rotation and off-site storage.

Best,

Karl Runge