On Thu, 18 May 2000, jim t.p. ryan wrote:
> Any suggestions as how one could back this machine up?  I don't want to
> leave any of the client machines up at night.  All the shares will be on
> the same physical device.  I could put a tape drive in the Linux box.  So
> the backup would have to be entirely managed from a client in terms of
> scheduling it and verifying it, as well as ever recovering files from the
> tape.

  As others have pointed out, you should be able to automate the backups to
the point where the only thing the lusers have to do is tape management.  The
restores are the tricky part.  Giving your average Windows luser instructions
on how to use telnet to manually restore files with tar wouldn't be something
I looked forward to.

  There are nice, GUI backup front-ends for Linux, but since the box is
headless, things aren't so simple.  You might want to try setting up a GUI
front-end that runs via an X server on the Windoze boxes.  Or use VNC, since
MiX went commercial.  With a little scripting, you should be able to get it
down to a "Click this icon... wait for the program to start... click the
pretty files... click 'Restore'".

  Web-based front-ends were already mentioned.

  There are also commercial backup products which run on Linux, and, I think,
provide Windows- and web-based remote management.  NovaStor
(http://www.novastor.com) has some interesting products for that sort of
thing.  While I haven't tried them myself *yet*, I have heard good things, and
the pre-sales contact I've had with them was very nice.

  Hope this helps!

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| "The memory management on the Power PC chip is something that should be |