Hi,

>Any suggestions as how one could back this machine up?
Following up on this question...I read about the Logical Volume Manager project
some time ago. Actually, I read the Howto of it. My question is if anybody has
tried it, and how suitable it is for production. I mean I wouldn't love to use
my system just because I'm experimenting. But I have to admit I like the LVM of
AIX, so I am strongly thinking about giving it a try on linux.
How it relates to backup? You put another harddrive into the Volume group, set
it as a mirror (well, this would preferably be the 3rd mirror then, since you
would want to use RAID 1 if it's already supported), sync it, remove that extra
harddrive from that machine, mount it into another VG on another machine (not
that easy, but the idea is this), and then save it to the tape from there.
Really cool. You can take a snapshot, while the system is up for the users.
Well, the sync is going to use some proc time, but otherwise you are still in
multiuser mode. So it would be really nice if it worked on linux.

Ferenc