I first decided to run a benchmark based on a comment that some of the 10/100 cards are really 10. The main difference is that the non-cardbus PCMCIA cards are 16 bit cards and the cardbus cards are 32 bit. I used the ttcp utility to perform my benchmarks. The benchmarks were all done using Linux 2.2.14 between a PIII Compaq Presario Laptop and a PII clone woth a 10/100 switch in between. Both ends were full duplex. Both used the tulip driver.

On 28 Aug 2000, at 16:12, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Huh. Spurred by this message, I did a little testing of my own.
> My 3Com 3C574-TX 10/100 PCMCIA wouldn't push through much faster
> than 1.05MB/s on an FTP connexion.
<snip>
> 1. Is the 3C[XC]FE57[45] truly >10Mbps capable?
Probably not. Mark Dulcey posted a pretty decent explanation on the BLU list.
> 2. Can I get better than 10Mbps with one in my TP 600E?
If the TP600E is a PII or above it should be capable. I would go to a store that allows you to return without penalty and buy a cardbus card. I am only familiar with the linksys PCMP200 and the Netgear FA510.

> 3. Is the Linux driver support for them any better than for the 3C574?
I can't comment. Both cards (Linksys and Netgrear triggered the card manager to unload and load when removed and reinserted. However, with the new card the network connection does not get reinitiated. Don't know if that is a driver problem or not. I don't have the latest Tulip drivers on the laptop.
--
Jerry Feldman
Contractor, eInfrastructure Partner Engineering

Compaq Computer Corp.
200 Forest Street MRO1-3/F1
Marlboro, Ma. 01752