My experience in running user groups (eg. Boston Linux, Boston
Computer Society groups such as Atari and New Hampshire ISIG) is
never to cancel a meeting. If you know in advance that a speaker is not
going to show up, then try to come up with something. (You might want
to cancel in cases of very bad weather).

I have also had cases where speakers just failed to show up even after
confirming the same day.

In any case, no matter what method you try to use to notify your
members, there are always guys who don't get the word.
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org