On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Suzanne Hillman wrote:

> Subject: Debian package names (was Re: Debian flamewar)
>
> I have a question that's been bugging me for a while. How does one
> determine the name of the package one would need for a specific
> file/command/binary/etc under Debian (without using the search tool on
> their site)?
>
> I hate having figured out *what* I need, knowing that it must be available
> for Debian, and then not being able to figure out what package it's
> in. Sometimes I can guess the package names. Sometimes (more often) I
> can't.

apt-cache search <name> - searches the package info.  I've found it to
work great for figuring out what to install.

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   phone:603.930.9739 fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  greenbar n.

 A style of fanfolded continuous-feed paper
   with alternating green and white bars on it, especially used in
   old-style line printers.  This slang almost certainly dates way back
   to mainframe days.