At 04:02 PM 2/13/2001, Benjamin Scott wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Tony Lambiris wrote:
> > Plus it is running on a laptop, which is probably the most obnoxious
> thing to
> > install Linux on in the first place.
>
>   Try anything from Compaq...

Try anything from Compaq........and it still doesn't work correctly.  As of
lately I have had more compaqs come in for major service.  I love
proprietary hardware.

> > I personally think Debian is the easiest to install...

my first 15 installs with debian was a total nightmare.  the first 15 times
was in a week span.  I couldn't get anything to work...then all of the
sudden it worked.  and ever since that night in December when i mastered it
its been a dream on every system since.

>   I actually don't dislike Debian as much as my ranting would indicate.  In
>the past, the installs have been truly horrid, but things have improved to the
>point where they are only mildly unpleasant.  That, and I don't find APT to be
>God's Gift to System Admins the way some people say it is.  In other words, it
>doesn't live up to the hype.  But then, what does?  :)

REDHAT!  it never works....ever.....I support debian because their the
opposite of every other distro out there....there's no profit to be
made...so there's no push to get a product out the door....with no push the
take their time and make sure that EVERYTHING works...unlike some distros
that like to package beta compilers with a .0 release :-)  BTW - gods gift
to sysadmins are man pages and o-reilly books :-)

> > ... the best part is during the install, you can either select previous,
> > next, alt1 or alt2 (incase you need to do other stuff first, or you
> > already have stuff configured, I know I run mke2fs myself before
> > installing, so its nice that it lets you use an already formatted
> > partition).
>
>   FWIW, Red Hat nicely asks you which partitions you want to format before it
>formats them.

so does DOS and windows whats your point ;-)

> > Just thought I would share my ramblings...  ;)
>
>   Might as well.  Everyone else does.  ;-)

Scott, (:-)) we all love your ramblings - i think that i speak for a lot of
ppl when i say that the list wouldn't be the same without your snarky and
whitty jabs :-)

~kurth