In a message dated: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:02:16 EST
Benjamin Scott said:

>That, and I don't find APT to be God's Gift to System Admins the way
>some people say it is.  In other words, it doesn't live up to the hype.
>But then, what does?  :)

There is no package manager around that is "God's Gift to SysAdmins".  In
fact, I personally find package managers to be a curse :)

However, I think that apt and dpkg are a whole lot better than rpm for
installing packages on a single systems and for dealing with dependancies.

>> ... the best part is during the install, you can either select previous,
>> next, alt1 or alt2 (incase you need to do other stuff first, or you
>> already have stuff configured, I know I run mke2fs myself before
>> installing, so its nice that it lets you use an already formatted
>> partition).
>
>  FWIW, Red Hat nicely asks you which partitions you want to format before it
>formats them.

So does Debian.  That wasn't his point, rather, that you can follow the
sequence or deviate it from it, and get back to where you need to be to
continue.  This is something that RH doesn't allow from what I remember.
--

Seeya,
Paul