Today, Tony Lambiris gleaned this insight:

> Paul Lussier wrote:
>
> > There is no package manager around that is "God's Gift to SysAdmins".  In
> > fact, I personally find package managers to be a curse :)
>
> very true, but its soooooooo much easier to do apt-get -u update,
> instead of downloading all RPM updates, then finding out which RPMs
> are already installed, then installing the associative RPMs. Its a

That's really a matter of opinion.  I've seen experienced debian users
really break their system by doing that, because it upgraded a bunch of
stuff that really shouldn't have been upgraded.  I'm no lover of RPM, but
no one has been able to convince me that APT is better.  Just different.
IOW, you trade one set of strengths for another.  For example, I think RPM
handles querying much more intuitively and completely.  And I don't have
to deal with obscure options to seven different commands to get the
information I want.

--
Derek Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]