I don't think that anyone has tried to imply that any single source, be it
books, man pages, etc., was the key to success with Linux.  The article in
discussion here touched on the deficiencies of man pages as well as other
non-indexed references, command line or other.

One could argue that, for the example of man pages, reading "man man" would
certainly help one to better digest the results of the apparently
quintessential example "man tar."  Whether or not a particular man page
presents a valuable solution to a problem is not the same as whether the user
has done his/her best at understanding the information readily available.  So
I would argue contrary to your post that it needing to read man man
*doesn't*miss the point.  If you make the decision to operate any sort of
*NIX computer, at least learn how to read man pages.  It simply "comes with
the territory" so to speak.

Secondly, books do address very well the exasperations of the article's
author in that they are indexed and generally contain real-world examples.
And, since books are generally written as distribution specific, they address
the obfuscation issue quite directly.  They don't require X or a mouse
either, a definite plus.

But don't get me wrong about asking one's peers for help.  It is an absolute
necessity as there is no amount of documentation that will ever exist that
will address without omission the difficulties one may face with Linux.  But
a casual reading of USENET shows that posters who have made some attempt to
do *something* before asking for help get a better response.  The fact that
there is a community of Linux users and groups such as this have made Linux
what it is today.  That point should not be lost.

Finally, to ask why Linux developers don't make the system more easy to use
begs the question.  Obviously if it was difficult to them, they would change
it.  I understand that the original release of the Linux kernel required a
good deal of knowledge just to get it to compile.  And, from what I've read,
the early versions of Slackware were anything but "user friendly" regarding
installation.  So I think that in 10 years things have certainly come toward
the way of user-friendlyness, or ease of use.  But part of the draw of
running your own Linux box is that it does make you think.  It forces you to
learn something about the inner workings of the computational wonder you have
at your fingertips.  Those who come searching for a mindless I/O that is
nothing but eye candy can probably be happily directed elsewhere.

-Mike-