David Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Right now may mail comes in on a Unix server and love it.  I can
> check my messages from home (pine works wonderfully) and I have
> fetchmail running daemon mode to grab the messages off their system
> (saves them disk space, and me headaches).  If I am forced to run
> Outlook I am afraid I will lose that ability - but then again, I'm
> not up on M$ Email.
>
> I am also afraid that, if I give in here it is just the first step
> into forcing me (as the cartoon once said) "to be assimilated",
> and I've been a Unix user too long to go willingly.
>
> Oh well, all good things must come to an end...

Not so fast.

You and I have a very similar perspective on this issue.  Let me tell
you how I solved this:

I run my own IMAP server.  Here's a description:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug@zk3.dec.com/msg09038.html  ***

***  I slightly goofed on these recipes.  They should be more like:

     :0w
     * ^TO.*IETF-Announce
     | dmail +ietf-announce

There are a number of advantages to this:

1:  procmail and fetchmail are reliable tools

2:  procmail takes care of the bulk of my mail sorting.  I don't have
    to sort much mail manually.  In addition, I can use freely
    available SPAM filters (www.spambouncer.org) because they use
    procmail.

3:  My email program knows how to deal with IMAP just fine.

4:  If I want to, I can just point OutLook at my IMAP server...
    (I only tried this once though -- it seemed to work fine)

5:  I can use the Exchange calendar system from Outlook, or via the
    OWA system -- it's my choice.

As I see it, there are only three disadvantages to my system:

1:  I have to backup my own email.

2:  The University of Washington IMAP server is slower than death on
    qualudes (for very large mailboxes) -- I am currently investigating
    Cyrus IMAPD (in my copious spare time...).  I still plan on using
    procmail too -- I don't have a lot of incentive to use sieve.

3:  This scheme doesn't really work well if you only have one
    computer.

BTW, it sounds like you might be worried about Outlook's reaction to
fetchmail snarfing all of your email off of the server while it is
running against the Exchange server.  I can assure you that this works
just fine -- one minute there's mail, the next minute it has been
moved to my IMAP server.  This doesn't affect the Outlook calendar at
all, either.

I think that you'd be nuts to give up using Pine.

Regards,

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
ADVERTISEMENT:  On Sunday May 5th, I'm riding my bicycle 100 miles