> Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:06:41 +0100 (BST)
> From: Chris Sawer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On 22-Jun-99 Werner Icking wrote:
>
> > Next problem :-)
> >
> > Åhlström, Olof              like A, after A
> > Beethoven, Ludwig van       B or V
> > Du Mage, Pierre             D or M
> > [Prilipp-]Schubert, Camille P or S
> > Van Durme, Oscar            V or D
> > Westhoff, Johann-Paul von   V or W
> > Åhlström, Olof              after Z
> >
> > all from GMD's Music Archive ;-)
>
> This needs the person in charge of the archive to make an executive
> decision if any music is submitted by these composers. And as that
> person is (will be) me, this is what I think. Remember that we're only
> talking about the names of the directories here, hardly a major point
> :-)

Maybe we are talking about presenting search results, too.

[...]
> o I have already stated somewhere that as far as the sort mechanism
> (yet to be written!) of Mutopia is concerned, "van", "du", etc. will be
> treated as a middle name and the surname will be taken as the last word
> if the person's name is written out in full. No one would look under V
> for Beethoven.

That's ok. But I was said that no one would look under D for Van Durme or
under M for Du Mage.

I asked those who delivered the editions where to sort it. I did it not for
Åhlström. So I sorted it badly to "A".

> o I've never heard of Camille Prilipp-Schubert but I don't see what the
> problem is with using P.

The true name is Schubert. Prilipp is normally not used. So it's sorted under
S and the directory is named "schubertc" :-)

-- Werner