On 22-Jun-99 Werner Icking wrote:

> Next problem :-)
>
> Åhlström, Olof              like A, after A
> Beethoven, Ludwig van       B or V
> Du Mage, Pierre             D or M
> [Prilipp-]Schubert, Camille P or S
> Van Durme, Oscar            V or D
> Westhoff, Johann-Paul von   V or W
> Åhlström, Olof              after Z
>
> all from GMD's Music Archive ;-)

This needs the person in charge of the archive to make an executive
decision if any music is submitted by these composers. And as that
person is (will be) me, this is what I think. Remember that we're only
talking about the names of the directories here, hardly a major point
:-)

o Non-English characters (letters with accents, etc.) are always dodgy
in filenames so they will be replaced with the closest English letter

o I have already stated somewhere that as far as the sort mechanism
(yet to be written!) of Mutopia is concerned, "van", "du", etc. will be
treated as a middle name and the surname will be taken as the last word
if the person's name is written out in full. No one would look under V
for Beethoven.

o I've never heard of Camille Prilipp-Schubert but I don't see what the
problem is with using P.

Chris

--

Chris Sawer - Sussex, England - [EMAIL PROTECTED]