> (eg. Tschaikowsky: see Chaikovsky) the name to choose for the index
> should be a standard transcription (that can be looked up) of
> Cyrillic: this makes it obvious how to enter other Russian names.
>
> I can not imagine that there is no standard for transcribing Cyrillic
> to English.

Of course there are several.  I have a sheet which claims that the
three major systems are

US Board on Geography (preferred by Chicago Manual of style): Chaykovskiy

Library of Congress system: Chai^kovskii^

Linguistic System: C^ajkovskij

I have written "^" to indicate a hacek (upside down ^) on the
preceeding letter.  The US Board system has the merit of having the
fewest diacritical marks.

My transliterations are based on the spelling given in my Russian
dictionary.