Richard> I basically agree with your ideas about free music licenses.

The other issue is that of performing and broadcasting rights.
Published sheet music often comes with a copyright statement that
prohibits public performance without payment of a fee to the owner of
the music --- particularly music that is associated with some
particular artiste, show, or film.

I think that for any explicit licence we need to consider:
        -- copyright in the tune (owned by the composer)
        -- copyright in the harmonisation (owned by the arranger)
        -- copyright in the editorial emendations (owned by the editor)
        -- copyright in the mudela representation (owned by the person
                        who typeset the music)
        -- copyright in the postscript/midi output
        -- rights to perform the music
        -- rights to broadcast the music
        -- rights to re-arrange the music

Peter C