Christian> There are other free sheet music archives, for example the
GMD archive
Christian> (http://www.gmd.de/Misc/Music/scores/) and the Choral Public
Domain Library
Christian> (http://www.cpdl.org/).

Michael> Yes I know, (I found your music there :-) , but I would think
Werner and
Michael> the others would also have to watch out now, because as I
mentioned
Michael> above - the way the copyright orgs. handle music on the
internet has
Michael> changed within the last few years - in Denmark Werner would be
asked to
Michael> pay for the music he has on the GMD archive, unless he removes
the
Michael> midifiles I suppose (as far I understand it).

Werner Icking wrote:
> I don't  know the laws in Denmark, but I know that all sound-file I have
> on my server are uploaded by those they made it. In addition they are either
> from compositions which are out of copyright or uploaded by the "owner"
> (composer, arranger, ...).

Hi Werner,

I am glad you have seen this discussion, I was thinking about
mailing you about it.

I think you really have to watch out now these days. The laws
in Denmark is as I have described them (i.o.w. you may be requested to
pay several 1000 DKR in Denmark for having soundfiles of music from
members of KODA - EVEN IF THEY ALLOW YOU TO HAVE THEM THERE (because
if they are members of KODA or related orgs., then they have signed
a contract which transfers the "administration of their rights" to
KODA etc., so they can not give you permission - only KODA can)).

The reason I warn you and Chris, is that Denmark is part of EU, and
KODA collaborate closely with the related organizations also in
Germany and the UK.

It is very likely that the rules will be "harmonized" within EU, and
this could be based on the experience from scandinavia, where KODA,
IFPI, and the other orgs. has been testing new rules the last few years.

These rules is basically (as mentioned) based on viewing the internet as
a sort of "broadcasting/publication facility". And not only KODA etc.
but also the Music Publishers, recording Labels and so on, are looking
for ways to make people pay for every little piece of music they can
find on the net. Not only because they want to protect their
investments,but also to prepare the ground for a commercialization of
distributions via the internet: If the users can be teached that
material on the internet should not be free to download, but encrypted
and paid for with their VISA, then the business potential of the
internet is greater for the people who want to use the internet for
business.

As an example of how it may be in the future, if we do not protect
the wonderful initiatives of GMD and Mutopia etc. follow this link:

http://www.amazingmusicworld.com/

and notice the copyright notice at the bottom of that page - it can't
get more unfriendly than that.

So Werner and Chris do monitor the German, UK and EU rules closely,
so you can counter any attempt to attack your initiative, before
they try to drag you in court (and here notice the  nasty trick:
Even if you have the right on your side, the simple cost of hiring
lawyers and defending it in court, is enough to scare most people
of the net).

A last few  notes:

I am not a legal expert, and that is why I have suggested that you
get legal advice if necessary.

Sheetmusic and old music is AFAIK still not threatened by these
new rules.

My very best regards,
Michael Nyvang.

The Foobar Bazaar