On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Michael Eisen <mbei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stevan-
> Saying that people should shun gold OA because there are spammers pushing
> journals is like saying people should never take prescription drugs because
> there are spammers trying to sell cheap prescription drugs, or that nobody
> should ever do business with Nigeria.

I agree completely.

And I didn't say people should shun (real) gold OA.

I said fool's gold OA spam was giving OA (both green and gold) a bad name.

(I do, however, say, often, that institutions, funders or individual
authors spending money pre-emptively on (real) gold OA is premature
and a waste of both money and time *unless the institution or funder
has first mandated green OA for all articles* -- and the individual
authors are providing it...)

> But if you're going to use the standard of email inboxes being filled with
> nonstop entreaties to pursue a path to open access, surely it is green OA
> that would suffer the most :-).

Mike, do you really think that my email CCs -- to individuals whose
identity I know, and to lists dedicated to OA matters -- in the
interests of promoting (and explaining!) OA can be fairly likened to
the indiscriminate, industrial-scale spamming of fool's gold OA
publishers in the interest of peddling their products?

Stevan

Harnad, S. (2007) The Green Road to Open Access: A Leveraged
Transition. In: The Culture of Periodicals from the Perspective of the
Electronic Age, pp. 99-105, L'Harmattan.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac..uk/15753/
ABSTRACT: What the research community needs, urgently, is free online
access (Open Access, OA) to its own peer-reviewed research output.
Researchers can provide that in two ways: by publishing their articles
in OA journals (Gold OA) or by continuing to publish in non-OA
journals and self-archiving their final peer-reviewed drafts in their
own OA Institutional Repositories (Green OA). OA self-archiving, once
it is mandated by research institutions and funders, can reliably
generate 100% Green OA. Gold OA requires journals to convert to OA
publishing (which is not in the hands of the research community) and
it also requires the funds to cover the Gold OA publication costs.
With 100% Green OA, the research community's access and impact
problems are already solved. If and when 100% Green OA should cause
significant cancellation pressure (no one knows whether or when that
will happen, because OA Green grows anarchically, article by article,
not journal by journal) then the cancellation pressure will cause
cost-cutting, downsizing and eventually a leveraged transition to OA
(Gold) publishing on the part of journals. As subscription revenues
shrink, institutional windfall savings from cancellations grow. If and
when journal subscriptions become unsustainable, per-article
publishing costs will be low enough, and institutional savings will be
high enough to cover them, because publishing will have downsized to
just peer-review service provision alone, offloading text-generation
onto authors and access-provision and archiving onto the global
network of OA Institutional Repositories. Green OA will have leveraged
a transition to Gold OA.

Harnad, S. (2010) Gold Open Access Publishing Must Not Be Allowed to
Retard the Progress of Green Open Access Self-Archiving. Logos: The
Journal of the World Book Community, 21 (3-4). pp. 86-93.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/21818/
ABSTRACT: Universal Open Access (OA) is fully within the reach of the
global research community: Research institutions and funders need
merely mandate (green) OA self-archiving of the final, refereed drafts
of all journal articles immediately upon acceptance for publication.
The money to pay for gold OA publishing will only become available if
universal green OA eventually makes subscriptions unsustainable.
Paying for gold OA pre-emptively today, without first having mandated
green OA not only squanders scarce money, but it delays the attainment
of universal OA.

Harnad, S. (2010) The Immediate Practical Implication of the Houghton
Report: Provide Green Open Access Now. Prometheus, 28 (1). pp. 55-59.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac..uk/18514/
ABSTRACT: Among the many important implications of Houghton et al’s
(2009) timely and illuminating JISC analysis of the costs and benefits
of providing free online access (“Open Access,” OA) to peer-reviewed
scholarly and scientific journal articles one stands out as
particularly compelling: It would yield a forty-fold benefit/cost
ratio if the world’s peer-reviewed research were all self-archived by
its authors so as to make it OA. There are many assumptions and
estimates underlying Houghton et al’s modelling and analyses, but they
are for the most part very reasonable and even conservative. This
makes their strongest practical implication particularly striking: The
40-fold benefit/cost ratio of providing Green OA is an order of
magnitude greater than all the other potential combinations of
alternatives to the status quo analyzed and compared by Houghton et
al. This outcome is all the more significant in light of the fact that
self-archiving already rests entirely in the hands of the research
community (researchers, their institutions and their funders), whereas
OA publishing depends on the publishing community. Perhaps most
remarkable is the fact that this outcome emerged from studies that
approached the problem primarily from the standpoint of the economics
of publication rather than the economics of research.

Harnad, S. (2008) Waking OA’s “Slumbering Giant”: The University's
Mandate To Mandate Open Access. New Review of Information Networking,
14 (1). pp. 51-68. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac..uk/17298/
ABSTRACT: Universities (the universal research-providers) as well as
research funders (public and private) are beginning to make it part of
their mandates to ensure not only that researchers conduct and publish
peer-reviewed research (“publish or perish”), but that they also make
it available online, free for all. This is called Open Access (OA),
and it maximizes the uptake, impact and progress of research by making
it accessible to all potential users worldwide, not just those whose
universities can afford to subscribe to the journal in which it is
published. Researchers can provide OA to their published journal
articles by self-archiving them in their own university’s online
repository. Students and junior faculty – the next generation of
research providers and consumers -- are in a position to help
accelerate the adoption of OA self-archiving mandates by their
universities, ushering in the era of universal OA.