El 30/10/2011 17:03, Stevan Harnad escribió:

Not only is it regrettable that OA is so unthinkingly identified in
most people's minds exclusively with gold OA publishing, but this
growing spate of relentless fool's-gold junk-OA spamming is now
coalescing with that misconception -- and at the same time more and
more universities and funders are reaching into their scarce funds to
pay for this kind of thing, thinking this is the way to provide OA.

I am also an OA supporter, but I do not agree 100% with this afirmation, because
the situation depends also on different areas of the world, for instance in
Latinamerican and Caribbean countries (LAC) , gold OA exists for years (even if
their journals were not called OA journals, in fact most of them are "gratis
journals") but the repositories landscape is an emerging area, in fact there are
very few institutional repositories. However, projects like Scielo, Redalyc or
Latindex that have been working for years with journals editors successfully.
So, there are diverse OA landscapes, and depends on where you are the route to
achieve OA could be different, said that I have also to say that I do not agree
with paying 3000 dollars or euros to publish a paper, but in mostly LAC
journals, authors do not pay any fee to publish a paper.

Good morning form the Mediterranean side.
Reme

--
Reme Melero
Científico Titular CSIC