Is the problem really with commercial publishers?

Non-commercial subscription-based journals surely create every bit as much of an
access barrier as commercial subscription-based journals. And high-quality
commercial open access journals can and do deliver just as good value to the
research community as high-quality non-commercial open access journals.

Under the open access model , no one is 'locked in'. Authors are free to submit
to whichever journal offers them the best combination of prestige, service and
value. In practice, that seems as likely to be a commercial journal as a
non-commercial journal.

Matt Cockerill
BioMed Central

I am also an OA supporter, but I do not agree 100% with this afirmation, because
the situation depends also on different areas of the world, for instance in
Latinamerican and Caribbean countries (LAC) , gold OA exists for years (even if
their journals were not called OA journals, in fact most of them are "gratis
journals") but the repositories landscape is an emerging area, in fact there are
very few institutional repositories. However, projects like Scielo, Redalyc or
Latindex that have been working for years with journals editors successfully.
So, there are diverse OA landscapes, and depends on where you are the route to
achieve OA could be different, said that I have also to say that I do not agree
with paying 3000 dollars or euros to publish a paper, but in mostly LAC
journals, authors do not pay any fee to publish a paper.

Good morning form the Mediterranean side.
Reme

--
Reme Melero
Científico Titular CSIC