Why not issue a poll on generics, was this ever done? (I could've missed
it, I  am only following Go ~2 years). While the community has a vote in
accepting/rejecting the current generics proposal, the community was never
(really) asked if generics is desired in the first place and especially
what the scope of generics should be. Is that correct?

Another thought:  there are many popular, type-safe programming language
with generics already. So if you really need generics, there's plenty to
pick from. There's not that many  without, I can only name Go and C. So if
generics is added to Go there's far less choice to pick a modern type-safe
language that doesn't have generics. It's a feature that makes Go quite
special.

To me, the most worrisome thing about the current generics proposal is that
there'll be a constant choice/preference fight between writing

func MyFunc(r io.Reader) error {}

- or -

func MyFunc[T io.Reader](r T) error {}

I hope I am wrong, but I have the feeling the latter looks cooler to a lot
of programmers out there.