I am in favor of the proposal but I think that accounting for popularity
votes is not a good measure of things.
A lot of people are at various stages of their technical journey in
computer science and engineering and there has to be a weight given to the
more technical opinions that is not reflected in the github upvote/downvote
system.
At one point, everyone would have upvoted that the earth was flat.

Just a note in passing :)