On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 11:03 PM Ian Lance Taylor <i...@golang.org> wrote:

> The formal proposal (https://golang.org/issue/43651) got 1784 thumbs
> up and 123 thumbs down (and ten "confused").  Yes, there were critics.
> But I think it is fair to say that the proposal has far more
> supporters than critics.

I think it should be noted that:

- No one knows how many of the voters don't actually use Go or are Go
novices. IOW, the statistical properties of the voting population are
not known to be the same or even reasonably similar within a certain
margin to those of the population of Go programmers.
- We can create a hypothesis, that if only people coding in Go for
more than N years, the results may get very different or even
inverted. Due to the above we cannot decide the validity of the
hypothesis. The validity could be, or could have been somehow
estimated by asking a smaller corpus of well known Go developers. Not
meant as a decisive body. Just to get some more reliable data. The
Github votes are, technically speaking, not distinguishable from
noise, ad hoc brigading, etc.
- Regardless of the endless promotion of inclusiveness, the voting
using the service of a single and notoriously controversial provider
of said service ignores, or excludes if you will, people not using
that service for any reason, not only the one I just mentioned.

In the light of the above, it's a bit surprising that the voting
results are even seriously mentioned in this discussion.

----

Some may have mistakenly inferred I'm against generics. I'm not. But
I'm neither in favor of them. Yet. Ask me some years after they are
released.