On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 11:10 PM Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - We can create a hypothesis, that if only people coding in Go for
> more than N years, the results may get very different or even
> inverted. Due to the above we cannot decide the validity of the
> hypothesis. The validity could be, or could have been somehow
> estimated by asking a smaller corpus of well known Go developers. Not
> meant as a decisive body. Just to get some more reliable data. The
> Github votes are, technically speaking, not distinguishable from
> noise, ad hoc brigading, etc.

I just want to note that we did in fact reach out to a number of
experienced Go developers with early versions of the design draft to
get their feedback before we published it
(https://go.googlesource.com/proposal/+/refs/heads/master/design/go2draft-type-parameters.md#acknowledgements)
(we reached out to other people not mentioned who did not have time to
participate).

> - Regardless of the endless promotion of inclusiveness, the voting
> using the service of a single and notoriously controversial provider
> of said service ignores, or excludes if you will, people not using
> that service for any reason, not only the one I just mentioned.
>
> In the light of the above, it's a bit surprising that the voting
> results are even seriously mentioned in this discussion.

Fair enough.  I cite numbers like these, and the comments on the Go
survey, because they are the only numbers I have.  But you're clearly
right that they are problematic.

Ian