The subject of this thread really caught my eye.  I have to echo
Bobby: I read about the GAE before trying to implement anything on it,
and was well aware of the limitations.  I'd have to suggest that you
read the docs prior to assuming anything about the environment.

The subject matter in this thread brings up a good point (not really
worth discussing, but fun anyway): what IS "Java"?  Is it:
a) the SDK/JRE?
Or
 b) the Java language specification?
I think the answer is "b".  Since pretty much all code running on GAE
is written using the Java language (there's some xml in there), it's
appropriately named "Google App Engine for Java".  There's no "SDK" or
"JDK" reference in there.  No promise about java.util or any other
package in there.  It just states what it is: an app engine that runs
code written in the Java programming language.

Jago, I think the same goes for your statement "Android is not Java".
Of course it isn't, Android is a platform that runs code "written in
the Java programming language".  The code is indeed written in Java,
but then compiled to Dalvik byte-code.  :)  The same goes for GWT,
it's code written in the Java programming language, and then compiled
to raw JavaScript.  There's a very small subset of the JDK that can be
used in GWT, but people seem to be doing just fine with those
limitations (of course, I'm sure they knew about the limitations prior
to writing code in GWT).

I think there are multiple advantages present in the GAE, it's
certainly not for every app, but it can sure power some very
complicated systems, and they seem to be fine with the whitelist
(Google Wave for instance).

I've been porting our system to the GAE in my spare time just to see
if it can handle the data structures our system uses.  We currently
run on Glassfish, using JAX-WS for SOAP web services and use JMS, JSF
1.2 blah blah blah... a bunch of stuff GAE doesn't support, and I've
found that I can generally get around the limitations put on me by the
GAE.  I understand frustration brought on by the system restrictions,
however, it's nothing you can't get around if you approach the problem
from a different angle.  And if you can't get around it, perhaps move
to a different system.  I've heard that Amazons cloud is much harder
to use and has many more restrictions, but I could be wrong, I've not
looked closely at it.

Now, if we're splitting hairs here, I'd say you may have a case in
suggesting that JDO is not fully supported on the GAE.  It'd be much
more fair to say that the GAE supports a "small subset" of the JDO
specification.  However, saying "it's not Java" simply isn't true.
The code is written using the Java language.

-bryce