the GAE isn't cross-compiling, javac is doing the compiling (the real
java compiler), so it's kind of a moot argument.  The point is, the
system runs java, not g-java, not pseudo-java, it's java.  It just
doesn't have all the libraries you want.  That's all.  It's written in
the Java programming language (or Scala, or Groovy JRuby or anything
else that runs on the JVM) and runs on a JVM... it's Java.