Thanks everyone.  I must say this is a little unsatisfactory only
deleting 1000 entries.  My forum at http://silicon.appspot.com/ is
growing quite large and although I have no threads containing 1000
posts yet there are a few in the 100s.  Obviously moderators and
administrators can delete threads and I don't see a nice method for
doing that with this restriction.

I've heard of the method where only a few items would be deleted per
request and multiple requests would be made until all items were
removed but that isn't really practical for this context.  I currently
delete all posts before the thread item is deleted so I suppose at
worst only some posts will be removed and some left with the thread.
In that case multiple 'deletes' would eventually remove the thread
entirely...  I can't see any better methods, and if there aren't then
that's OK, but I'd like to hear any ideas you guys have. :-)

Thanks,
Lster