The "cron job" functionality would have to be invoked manually at
present but I see what you mean.  I couldn't set all the posts as
hidden obviously but I could set the thread's status to hidden and for
each attempted view of the posts it would have to check the thread was
not hidden.

I think there are plans (or at least a request) for routine events; is
this bug along those lines?

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=109&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Stars%20Owner%20Summary%20Log%20Component

It would be useful!