Hi,

I have a similar data maintenance problem and I'm planning a 'cron-
like' work-around which I'm happy to share. A basic option is to use
an Ajax library which has a timer function, to call a method on your
system which deletes unwanted data in batches.  Unfortunately you then
need a web page open always!

I'm planning a slight variation; where one of my less frequently used
pages fires off an ajax call to an admin method.  The admin method
stores a few variables in memcache around when it was last called and
what admin function needs to be invoked, it then calls the appropriate
tidy-up function (in my case it deletes old data in chunks of 50
entries, among other things) to look after the system.

You can fine tune the idea to fit.  It increases the number of web-
calls your system makes, but it think it might be helpful in your
situation.

Regards