Personally: I haven't used Python in a few years, and I've never used
Django, though it looks good.  Most of my recent web work has been
LAMPish (including large structured OO projects in PHP 5).  I've found
the learning curve with GAE to be pretty immense but presumably
worthwhile.  I'm very impressed with what Google has done so far.

Now considering the facts that a) lots of the "good bits" from Django
are either included in GAE (templates) or don't work with GAE (some of
the admin stuff), b) the version of Django that works out of the box
is old (.96), and c) the workarounds for getting new Django to run
seem like I'll be chasing my tail a lot since I'm not even sure how
it's supposed to work in the first place...  I decided to build my
first projects using just webapp - no Django.

This way I can familiarize myself with Django's template language and
all the gotchas inherent in GAE itself.  And hopefully by the time I'm
ready to jump into Django, they'll have a newer version installed by
default.

This is MY current reasoning after dwelling on this for a few weeks
given MY situation, which seems similar to the OP's.  Your mileage may
vary.  This is an interesting discussion, though, and it would be
helpful if anybody else with more experience would like to weigh in.
These decisions may live with us for a long time :)