Hi,

On Dec 19, 3:13 am, boson <dan.kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now considering the facts that a) lots of the "good bits" from Django
> are either included in GAE (templates) or don't work with GAE (some of
> the admin stuff), b) the version of Django that works out of the box
> is old (.96), and c) the workarounds for getting new Django to run
> seem like I'll be chasing my tail a lot since I'm not even sure how
> it's supposed to work in the first place...  I decided to build my
> first projects using just webapp - no Django.

There's nothing magic about the workarounds. In app-engine-patch
there's a sample project which gets you started immediately with the
latest stable release. Everything that's need is placed in a folder
called "common" and in order to upgrade you simply overwrite the old
files with the new ones in the latest sample project. Done.

> This way I can familiarize myself with Django's template language and
> all the gotchas inherent in GAE itself.  And hopefully by the time I'm
> ready to jump into Django, they'll have a newer version installed by
> default.

I don't think that this is a good approach. While webapp does have a
few features from Django the conceptual model is different. I've seen
a lot of webapp-based projects that are totally unstructured. In
contrast, with Django you can separate everything into self-contained
apps and reuse code more easily. Moreover, webapp doesn't have
sessions, pluggable auth support, nicely integrated i18n support, and
so on. You still miss a lot of professional features. You can of
course work around that, but this will be *your personal* solution. It
won't be an official API. In Django those features have standard
interfaces and all apps use those interfaces, so you can simply take
some Django app, port the models, and plug it into your website.

Webapp is no match for Django unless all you want to do is a simple
just-for-fun application.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewad