I am working on three toy projects using Google App Engine. I chose
GAE  because it
was the cheapest and most practical solution (no time wasted in sys
admin, installation, hardening, etc...). Working with GAE is a lot of
fun, I'm learning new things every day  and
I get to interact with some of the coolest engineers at Google. It's
unbelievable how much
they are giving back to the community (tons of open source projects
and libraries, Google
IO sessions...)

Amazon is garbage. a) I found their offering super expensive; b)
virtualization is a security and performance nightmare c) their
network infrastructure and international connectivity is really bad;
you talk about eating your dog food, Amazon can't even serve its own
ads and banners reliably, they take forever to load. Two weeks ago,
our basecamp and highrise was lagging like crazy... can you guess what
was the root cause? The static images are hosted on s3 and were taking
60 seconds to load.

For their initial proof of concept, Serge and Larry used a disparate
cluster of salvaged and borrowed computers. You can still take this
very same approach using AppScale, an open-source GAE implementation
(it's sponsored by Google) and it lets you run GAE on top of Amazon or
whatever else you have. You can also rent cheap Quad core servers with
8GB of RAM and 2TB of bandwidth from Hetzner for 40 EUR per month (I
use one of these as a staging server for bulk uploads)