Dude, you clearly don't appreciate the cloud for what it is.  It has
nothing to do with showing off, and everything to do with keeping a
company working on things it is good at.  It's about efficiency, and
automating a huge cost center in a company.

I know a cosmetics company here in Tokyo.  They have an IT team.  They
have an in-house server farm, and most of it is just for
advertisements / campaigns, etc...  It is a huge expense (Server
manager + programmers + line from NTT + etc...).  Most of all, it is
entirely outside of the company's expertise.  The president/ceo is a
wonderful hard-working person, but she can't tell an iPhone from a car
phone.  She certainly couldn't tell you whether the Sun or HP server
she bought was any good; it was just what the sales people told her.

Cloud to the rescue.  She doesn't have to waste time with computer
salespeople.  IT people move to jobs where they can do interesting
stuff instead of making sure a hard disk problem isn't causing a web
outage for a heavily flash-based site.  Moreover, instead of spending
corporate mindshare on IT,  Amazon gets a check and handles almost all
of the headaches (apparently even backups).  It's a lot better than
having a full time CTO and a team of server engineers / web
programmers.

The idea that some form of SQL is somehow more secure than any other
form of database interaction is frankly ridiculous.  Feel free to look
up the sordid history of addslashes and mysql_real_escape_string on
PHP if you don't believe me.

Storing someone's unencrypted important personal information on a
server you don't own is insane, but that's what public key encryption
and intermediary servers are for.  It's a lot easier to maintain such
minor infrastructure as opposed to the difficulty in having a full
network to withstand 1000-2000 simultaneous connections (or more).
(If the encrypted part of your website is getting those many
connections, you probably can afford to deal with the problem in a
more traditional way.)

The cloud kicks ass when you need to do something quickly.  It can be
made to kick ass with minor investments if you want to do something
securely.

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM, SivaTumma <sivatu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the cloud is meant for open social, blogs, etc or more
> straight forward, it is for the ones who wish to show off.
> People coined an opinion saying " No one who has to ensure security,
> would probably never use appengine or any cloud.. may be simpleDB of
> amazon".
>
> People who are considered of security, may have to wait till the
> AppEngine folks introduce their SQL support. probably, that would have
> more security.
> and then, Domain specific access scenario in google apps would
> probably help too.
>
> But, I hope to see this discussion continue till it resolves in a
> fruitful end-result. ( Something that is reliable, authorized
> information. )

Sincerely yours,

Jawaad Mahmood
http://www.jawaadmahmood.com