Hi Mos,

For things that are not "development questions" or doesn't fit Stack
Overflow, you are still free to use the groups, and if you find a bug,
filling an issue on the public tracker will always be appreciated by
the team and the community.

Note that we only plan to deprecated language specific groups (that is
google-appengine-python and google-appengine-java) were most of the
posts are development questions that really fit SO model.

Hope all that makes sense.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Mos <mosa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> -1 for deprecating the GAE google-groups
>
> On these groups we have so much discussions which are not simple Q&As.
> It's good if questions are also answered on Stack Overflow.
> But so much issues - e.g. the reoccurring bug with the null mimeType - are
> not Q&As which fits on Stack Overflow.
> Instead GAE users needs a discussion forum with good support from your
> Google people.
>

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 3:14 AM, Ikai Lan <i...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi App Engine Developers,
>>
>> In the last few years, the Q&A website Stack Overflow has become an
>> invaluable tool for developer communities. We’re pleased to announce that we
>> are migrating to Stack Overflow as the official channel for answering
>> development questions about Google App Engine.The google-appengine group
>> will remain open for general discussions and announcements that are better
>> suited for the groups format.
>>
>> We believe that Stack Overflow is better platform for sharing knowledge
>> and answering support questions given its larger community, de-duping of
>> similar questions and contributor reputation system. We also expect that App
>> Engine developers will be able to contribute and benefit from the wider
>> range of language-related information not specific to App Engine. In
>> addition, due to Stack Overflow’s use of OpenID for account management,
>> developers will not need to create a new account to participate in the
>> discussion - developers will be able to log in with any of the identity
>> providers supported by Stack Overflow, including Google Accounts.
>>
>> We plan on deprecating the App Engine language-specific groups, namely
>> google-appengine-python and google-appengine-java. The google-appengine-go
>> discussion group will continue to remain open for at least as long as the Go
>> runtime is in experimental status.
>>
>> The Python and Java groups will be placed into read-only on March 5th,
>> 2012. While answering technical questions, we will begin nudging developers
>> to ask their questions on Stack Overflow using the google-app-engine tag.
>>
>> Please let us know if there are any questions or concerns about this
>> announcement.
>>
>> Happy coding!
>>
>> - Ikai Lan, on behalf of the App Engine team
>>
>> --

Johan Euphrosine (proppy)
Developer Programs Engineer
Google Developer Relations