I have been struggling with the same issue of whether GAE is suitable for
business apps or not (by business apps, I am thinking of order
processing, credit processing system, shipping systems, billing, etc.
eCommerce, etc.).  For the past 10 years I have built web-based SaaS
applications and there is hard to envision building applications that have
hundreds of users divided into many dozens of roles that govern access to
many hundreds of various parts of the application with lots of workflow
management without a framework.

I have no problem being able to develop my own user and permissions
management system, but since almost everyone developing business
applications needs this same functionality, it appears to be a great
redundancy of reinventing the wheel by everyone.

Almost every other application platform has a very active eco-system where
developers make their modules available to others.Having said that, I don't
favor a single comprehensive framework that attempts to do everything, but
rather   an approach where I can pick and chose which functionality/modules
I want to add to my application.  I would imagine there would be a place
where developers would share such functionality and one could just download
the code and then include it in the applicable files.  This would apply not
only to the core of a framework that deals with users, roles and
permissions, but also to plug-in functionality such as discussion forum
comments, file (Excel) import/export, CRUD scaffolding, etc.

I also noticed that almost everyone who had been trying to build a
framework on GAE seems to have given up.  It is scary committing to build a
web development business around GAE when one does not know if this platform
is going to survive or whether the powers to be at Google are committed to
protecting the investment of their business partners in their technology
(in other words, ensuring that evolution provides a path for those who
developed on previous versions to migrate to the newer versions relatively
easily).

Sooo. I hope someone will tell me where the GAE developers share their
modules and building blocks and where I can find some tutorials about how
to connect these building blocks to build a solid foundation to almost any
web application because otherwise I really like much of what I see at GAE.