+1 to this reply.

Frameworks are OK, sometimes. The real question that you have to ask
yourself is, what are you using from the framework, and does it justify
copying the entire framework library in. Sometimes you absolutely need the
framework, but you only need a portion of it. Fine, tear out the parts you
don't need, and leave the rest in.

Other times, you're using the framework for services that App Engine
already provides. A lot of people will point to authentication and security
for reasons why they need a framework. While I understand that, it's also
important to understand that using AppEngine's authentication capabilities
are frequently faster and (depending on your application) simpler. App
Engine can authenticate through Google Accounts (pretty much everybody has
at least a Gmail account) or Federated authentication via OpenID. I have an
apps that authenticate through one or the other service, and it only
requires a few lines of code.