I doubt that Google will commit to any official statement. So here's my 2
cents, from a low-usage, rather complex B2B application. "Frameworks are
okay, to a certain degree, but be prepared to rework if you're successful"

We're using one heavy framework (Apache Wicket) and plenty of the regular
libs and frameworks like JodaTime, Objectify, OpenID, LessCss (which
depends on Rhino), Bouncy Castle etc. It's not a super-heavy app, but it's
not trivial anymore either. We had to make certain modifications to make
things work fine on GAE, conduct some profiling, etc, but mostly we're just
writing business logic. I guess we would have had to spend some time on any
platform we chose, no matter if on AWS, or Heroku, or anything else.

Most of the issues we encountered were quite obvious right from the start.
(Most notably, Wicket is really not that suited for GAE, but it made
feature-development super-fast, so we kept it.)  Some other issues only
started appearing after switching to the HR datastore, but since that's the
default these days, you'll probably encounter those issues right away as
well. So I'd recommend you write a prototype, cram in as much of the
technology you want to, and keep it running for a couple of days or weeks.
Make sure you're mostly happy with performance and startup time.

There are times when GAE behaves oddly and is 2-3 times slower than normal.
Memcaches is usually super-reliable, until it some day isn't. So, you need
to expect the unexpected, and optimise your requests so they are always
reasonably fast. We aim for 500ms or less, so on a bad day if a request
takes 2 or even 4 seconds, our clients may be unhappy, but not rioting. A
request that's typically taking 2 seconds is too slow though (IMO). If your
prototype has that kind of performance, rethink it.

If you're happy with the prototype and want to move forward,  I'd suggest
also spending some time ensuring your service and database layers have
clean interfaces. I never had to move away from GAE yet, but the recent
Memcache issues had me very worried and looking for alternatives.  Email,
Cron, Memcache, Deploy-scripts, etc are great, but these are the things you
can probably rework in a couple of weeks, even later on, especially since
you can split the work between your team to a certain extent. But if the
entire application (and not just a db-layer) was strongly dependent on GAE
specifics, you might find it hard to port it over.

There are times when things change, and then I'm happy we don't have sudden
load spikes, but that  thanks to a sales process that takes weeks, we know
what's coming. If we see a certain part of the application is slower than
it should be, we spend a couple of days improving it. That's something that
simply doesn't work in Consumer apps. If you're getting featured, and it's
your once-in-a-lifetime, then you probably have to heed Brandon's wise
words and optimise (very) early, and not rely on frameworks,

But if it's a normal B2B application, I think you can use a framework or
two. Just make sure you test it with a prototype, yadda yadda etc. If
you're super-successful, you'll hopefully make enough money in B2B-land, so
you can afford paying someone to drop a framework that helped you kickstart
your project faster. That's my strategy at least :)

Cheers
Per